Thursday, February 14, 2008

The sweet smell of success

I went home smilling from ear to ear after my last 2nd shift understudy...

I went to work telling myself that i have to make this work.My head-keeper had a talk with me and it helped me see things in a clearer perspective.I actually felt so inspired!He pointed out things that i didnt even know.well of course,he knows everything about fishing cat trail for he's been here for like 10years or so..he pointed out that work wise,he sees that i have no problems with it.but he pointed out that every single animal is an individual and it takes time to get to know them,reading their body language,knowing what they're going to do next and they can see what we're feeling.They can tell if we feel intimidated,excited,nervous,anxious..thats why when working with animals especially when releasing or confining them,its important to stay calm and relax.He tells me to spend some time each day at work simply observing them and get to know them.Yes!thats what i need to work on.Before he left,he gave me a pat on my shoulder and told me that i can do it.i didnt want to disappoint him and the people at fishing cat trail =)

And so,when i was confining the animals,i was very very calm.i had a clear mind and i was prepared for anything.one by one all my animals went in..there was 1 funny incident.knowing that my markhor are always the stubborn ones,i sang to them..and the next moment,they're all in!heys!you cant laugh at me ya..everyone has their own way of doing things.hahaha!

After i reported in over the walkie,my head-keeper called and asked me how it went.haha..it was like 12midnight and i was talking loudly over the phone.haha..i dont why but i'm super happy!this success means alot to me.i mean i know to other keepers,this is simply kacang as they have been doing this for years.haha!i guess everybody starts from somewhere.But i'm not getting big-headed now.i'm sure there are more challenges ahead.I will push myself and continue to work harder!

+++
On another note,i created an enrichment for my bharal yesterday.Its a stick,entwined with hay.Got a mixture of comments from others but i'm glad that my bharals' display was pretty good last night =)
and ya!HaPpY VaLentines to ALL!!

No comments: